Howe Sound Crest Trail Hike Backpacking Adventure (3 days/2 nights)
The Howe Sound Crest Trail is an incomparable advanced hiker trail, that follows along the summits of the coast mountains of the most southern glacial fjord in the northern hemisphere and experience breathtaking backcountry views of mountains, lakes, creeks and a tangle of ocean inlets and islands. Two expert backcountry guides will take you for an incredible private one-of-a kind experience.
You will have two professional Hiking and Backpacking Guides, for safety reasons and to appeal to varied interests and skill levels of guests. On arrival at our backpacking starting point, you will learn how to prepare and set up the packs for your amazing journey. Throughout your adventure, our experienced guides will escort you on amazing day long hikes which can be customized based on the experience you are looking for or how leisurely you wish to progress each day. You will experience the Coastal Mountains’ natural wonders with its lush old growth forests, meadows full of wildflowers and scenic mountain landscapes abundant in wildlife.
We will pick your private group up at a Metro Vancouver location and will enable you to discover and treasure some of BC’s most scenic and true backcountry mountains, lakes and rivers only 45 minutes from Downtown Vancouver. This 3-day adventure will take you through thick forests, up alpine terrain, through colourful meadows, over turquoise lakes, past waterfalls and creeks and finish with a walk on a beach. You will start the hike at Cypress Mountain in West Vancouver and end at the Porteau Cove Marine Park, a distance of 29 kms (18 miles) located along the south eastern shore of Howe Sound. You will have two professional Hiking and Backpacking Guides, for safety reasons and to appeal to varied interests and skill levels of guests. On arrival at our backpacking starting point, you will learn how to prepare and set up the packs for your amazing journey. Throughout your adventure, our experienced guides will escort you on amazing day long hikes which can be customized based on the experience you are looking for or how leisurely you wish to progress each day. You will experience the Coastal Mountains’ natural wonders with its lush old growth forests, meadows full of wildflowers and scenic ocean and mountain views. The first day is a minimum 11km. Your expert guides will ensure an incredible experience as the trail takes you over multiple summits, offering spectacular views of Howe Sound, the famous Lions peaks, as well as beautiful Vancouver, providing outstanding photography opportunities. Then, leaving the views of the city behind, the route cuts deeper into BC’s rugged backcountry where nature’s magical colours come to life. You’ll marvel at the towering Western Cedars, Douglas Firs and Hemlocks, learn how trees collaborate to survive and thrive and explore the incredible vegetation native to the west coastal mountains: wildflower meadows, thundering white waterfalls, beautiful turquoise Deeks Lake and Brunswick Lake. Natural surprises seem to appear around every bend in the trail. These are dramatic hiking trails consisting of uneven, rocky terrain, rope and chain assists over high steep cliff edges with “no fall” zones, and some flat valley sections. You’ll learn about camp set up logistics, how to efficiently pack a backpack and be trained on backcountry safety & nutrition. In terms of food program, you can choose between experiencing a true backpacking style, home-made dehydrated food experience or if you’d prefer, a more ‘backcountry gourmet’ experience. At the end of this one-of-a kind adventure, on the last day you’ll enjoy a 7-9km downhill hike back to the vehicle pick up point, and then a relaxing ride back to Vancouver full of unforgettable memories, stories and pictures.
- Fitness Level: Participants should be active, agile and must be capable of walking on dirt paths with some rough terrain for up to 30 minutes at a time. This specific tour is for intermediate/advanced fit people due to terrain conditions. Not advisable for those with a respiratory or heart problems, nor is it recommended for those with significant physical disabilities. This is an active excursion, suitable for more agile guests who live an active lifestyle.
- Hiking boots or shoes: before the trip walk-in your hiking boots for an hour at a time to avoid nasty blisters on the trail!
- Expect to use chains to traverse and ropes to descend safely along the trail on Day 1. You are on high mountain ridges and those with any kind of vertigo will not enjoy this adventure.
- Roundtrip scenic guided drive-in luxury class vehicle from Metro Vancouver to Cypress Provincial Park and the Porteau Cove Marine Park.
- Camping equipment including: Backpacks, waterproof tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mattresses, camp stools, all cooking, eating and drinking utensils, 2 lanterns, clothesline, freshwater containers and treatment.
- 3 days, with 2 Backpacking and Camping Guides for up to 10 hours per day to help you learn and appreciate backcountry camping and who will show you the best places to see and trails to hike. We will be sleeping in tents along the trail in a comfortable group-camp setting. We will teach you how to use our camping equipment like a pro and provide a myriad of stories, facts and information about the geology and ecosystems flora and fauna and mii-workshops on:
- How to pack a backpack – Guests will assist in the carrying of food, water and equipment plus personal item (a Backpacking Packing List will be forwarded with confirmation emails).
- Backcountry safety & nutrition
- How to set up backcountry camp
- Leave No Trace Principles
- Daily Breakfast, 3 Course Lunches and 3 Course Dinners Does not include breakfast on first day, nor dinner on the last day. Does not include personal alcoholic beverages. See sample Menus below. You can choose if you want to experience true backpacking style dehydrated food or if you’d prefer a more ‘backcountry gourmet’ experience.
- An amazing unforgettable trip of your lifetime!
For Detailed Itinerary, please contact us directly.